Saturday, April 25, 2009

ANZAC DAY 2009


THE SOLDIERS PRAYER

The Soldier stood and faced his God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,
Just as brightly as his brass.


"Step forward now, you Soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"

The Soldier squared his shoulders and said,
"No my Lord I ain't.
Because those of us that carry guns
can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sunday's
And at times my talk was tough.
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a dollar,
That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked alot of overtime,
When the bills got just to steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,
Though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God, forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,
Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,
Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,
It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had to much,
But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the Saints had often trod.

As the Soldier waited quietly,
For the judgement of his God.

"Step forward now, you Soldier,
You've borne your burdens well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

"YOU'VE DONE YOUR TIME IN HELL."
-Author Unknown-



Today is not about war it is about peace.

May we look on the next lot of vets who come home from Afghananistan and Iraq with the same respect. What ever your beliefs- They are there to do a job, it is not their choice.

It's the Soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the
freedom of the press.

It's the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us the
freedom of speech.

It's the Soldier, not the politicians, that ensures our right to life,
freedom and the pursuit of Happiness.

It's the Soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition
and appreciation for our Armed Services Men & Women,
please pass this message on.

And pray for our men and women who have served and are
currently serving our country and pray for those who have given
the ultimate sacrifice for

OUR FREEDOM.

7 comments:

Gill - That British Woman said...

great poems and a great message in both of them.......

Gill in Canada

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Lest we forget!

Joolz said...

As you are a soldier's mum, I am thinking of you and your man today.

- Joolz

Cassie said...

Happy ANZAC Day to you! Caroline, This is a great post. SO, ANZAC Day is to honor the soldiers. Is there also a day for your other armed service branches?

We have Veteran's Day here on Nov 11th (previously Armistice Day before WWII) each year and that covers all the branches of the Service. But, they all still have their "own day" specific to their own branch too...they generally celebrate within their own. Memorial Day the last Mon. in May is celebrated to honor U.S.men and women who died while in military service to our country. Flags are placed on all vets graves on that day.Quite a sight to behold.

Unknown said...

This is my first visit to your blog. Incredible! I'll be back to read you again soon!
~AM

Lucy said...

My Husband served in Vietnam many years ago. He may not have been wounded in the battlefield but he did come home wounded inside. He is my Hereo because he has conquered his demons and survived. I pray that all soldiers who come back from duty do not have to go through what he have gone through. You were on my mind yesterday and thought how proud you must be of your son. I am.
I pray that he returns safley to your arms very soon.

Caroline said...

Thank you Lucy. Your husband is my hero to. Sometimes the wounds inside run a lot deeper than any that can be seen. I think Australians learnt a valuable lesson after Vietnam at least I hope we did!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails